Sunday, April 6, 2014

Creating sweet memories with cookies


My Grandma passed away three weeks ago. She was known for her cookies. In fact some of her cookie recipes are the ones I use in my own shop. So when asked to bake cookies for her service, I wanted to do something that reflected some of the things that remind me of her. The colors of spring, as that was the start of gardening season for grandma and her favorite time of year. The color yellow because she loved the sun, she would spend countless hours gardening in the sunshine and have the best tan. The flowers and patterns on the cookies reflect the many floral patterns found on sweatshirts and casual shirts my Grandma always wore. And the leaves represent all the things that grew in her yard. From the large trees we use to climb as kids, the grape vines grandma use to make jelly from, to the apple trees that produced countless mason jars of apple sauce and apple butter. The tunnel of Bridal Veil that produced the most dainty flowers that when the wind would blow covered the ground in white flower confetti. And of course the vegetables that grew in her garden. My mom and I would always fight over who got the lemon cucumbers, our favorite. All my creations tell a story, but this one tells a very special story about an amazing Grandma who also baked the most delicious cookies. 

How I created them

I created these cookies using my favorite sugar cookie recipe. From there I made white chocolate, modeling chocolate in three colors; white, green and yellow. Next, I iced the cookies in a thin layer of SMBC, then placed a disc of modeling chocolate cut out of the same cookie cutter I used for cutting out the cookies.

I used a number of beautiful edible images from Luck's to create the flowers on the cookies. I used Sizzix floral dies to cut the flowers out of the sugar sheets. Once cut I pulled the backing off and centered the flowers on the cookies.

For the leaves, I used the same cutter I cut the cookies out, with my green modeling chocolate. I placed the green leaf on top of the sugar cookie, thinly iced with SMBC. I used a veining tool to create the veining on the leaves. The SMBC under the modeling chocolate helps create more of a 3D effect to the veining of the leaves. 

For more information and pictures follow me on FB at http://www.facebook.com/epicdelights

Preferences
Preferences
Preferences
§
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
0
-
=
Backspace
Tab
q
w
e
r
t
y
u
i
o
p
[
]
Return
capslock
a
s
d
f
g
h
j
k
l
;
'
\
shift
`
z
x
c
v
b
n
m
,
.
/
shift
English
alt
alt
Preferences

No comments:

Post a Comment